The church of St Michael can be found about a quarter of a mile to the South East of Brough Castle. Hidden away at the bottom of a hill, and surrounded by trees this is a very tranquil and sublime church. The back of the church is the most well kept part of this building, with the grave yard here mowed and tidy....whilst the front is overgrown...this is obviously where the older graves can be found and so is little visited. However...the 16th century porch (at the rear) should not be ignored, as it hides a beautiful 12th century arched doorway (see the photos later on in this post)
The above photo shows the North face of the church, made of predominately 16th century stone work. The photo below, shows the South face of the church, made predominately of 12th century stone work (including the decorated doorway) There appears to be only one original window in the South wall, with a few pieces of 14th century stone work incorporated around the windows.
The photo below shows another medieval grave slab, with its familiar floral engraving. This one has been mounted above the window in the porch.
The photo below shows the beautiful Nave ceiling, probably dating from the 15th century. Local tradition has it that the original was burned by the Scots sometime before the 1500's....although these local legends often attribute unfortunate accidents to Scottish invasions and attacks!!
Another view of the 15th century ceilings, looking towards the West end of the church.
This is a beautiful church and seems to be open most days. Make sure that you walk right around the church yard to the back of the church where the porch is, as the Norman doorway is well worth inspection.