St Wilfreds can be found about a mile and a half South of Penrith, and lays in an area rich in history and fantastic sites (Penrith town and castle, Brougham Castle and Roman fort, Brougham Hall, Eamont Bridge, Mayburgh Henge and Arthur's Round Table to name a few.) The church lays less than fifty yards to the North of Brougham Hall (indeed the church yard is linked by a footbridge across the road that directly accesses the Hall's courtyard). It was built by Anne Clifford, Countess of Pembroke, in 1658, on the site of an earlier church.
The church is a single chambered building, with only a wooden screen separating the Nave from the Chancel. In 1840, Lord Brougham refurnished the interior of the church with imported Flemish, German and French carved panels and triptychs, as well as a beautiful altar piece. See the Visit Cumbria web site photos of this fantastic wood work.The East window has some 14th century glass in it, possibly from the original church here.