There have been many periods of building, re-building, extension and renovation. Some of the earliest portions of the church date to the 13th century. There are also portions of the building dating to the 15th century, the 16th century, and extensive re-building and re-modelling from the 1800’s. The earliest piece of stone work to be found in the church is a 9th century piece of Anglian cross, which resides on a window sill to the East of the church.
Most days the church is open at some point, and the staff are usually enthusiastic about letting people wonder around and take photos.
The bible box and its bible (chained to the box), shown above, is kept in the Strickland Chapel, and dates from 1666.