Vale of Lune
This small church lays at the side of the A684, some two and half miles West of Sedbergh. Built in 1850 as a mission chapel to nearby Ingmire Hall (for the navvies engaged in building the nearby Ingleton branch railway) the church is now Grade II listed.
It was paid for by the Upton family of nearby Ingmire Hall, who also provided a scripture reader to ensure that the navvies, being so far from home, did not miss out on their spiritual well being! The church contains amongst others, three beautiful William Morris designed stained glass windows, beautifully placed to make full use of the light airy interior of the church.
There are a number of other stained glass windows in the church (not shown here) by Frederick George Simon, installed in 1900, and showing rivers, animals and fell scenes. The woodwork (pews and wall panels) were all by Waring and Gillow of Lancaster.