Saturday, 12 December 2009

St Mary, Walney Island

St Mary
Walney Island
Barrow in Furness

St Mary's church lays directly opposite the West end of Jubilee Bridge on Walney Island. It is a huge grey building with a red roof, visible from across Walney Channel. The original church of St Mary was founded on Walney in 1568, though this original building no longer survives. The church we see today was started in 1907, with the foundation stone laid by Archbishop Maclagan. The church was dedicated in 1908, but not completed until around 1930. This newer building was built next to its predecessor, which was erected between 1852\1853. The size of the congregation on Walney forced the local population to seek a bigger building. For a while, both old and new churches existed side by side, with the older church eventually being dismantled. The corner stones of this mid 19th century building can still be seen in the church yard today, marking the spot where it once stood.

View of the rear of the church, looking South.

View of the church looking from the East.

The church is kept locked at all times, though the church yard is open to wander around.

No comments: