Monday, 18 January 2010

St Oswald, Burneside

St Oswald
Nr Kendal

The large village of Burneside lays about a mile to the North of Kendal. The church of St Oswalds sits at the centre of the imposing late 19th century building.

Above. View of the church from the road side, looking South East.

Built to plans by 'Ferguson', it was finished in 1881. It would appear that there was an earlier church here, possibly built by George Webster of Kendal. Check the links to see plans. Ground Plan and Gallery 1828. Ground Plan 1828. The 'Ferguson' church probably consisted of considerable extensions and rebuilding of the original Webster building.

Above. View of the church tower, looking North East.

Above. A rather obscured view of the rear of the church, looking North West.

The church has a fine collection of stained glass windows. More information regarding their ages and who produced them will follow.

Above. Window depicting St Peter (left) St James (middle) and St John (right) and dedicated to local industrialist, James Cropper. The window was gifted by his friends and neighbours in 1901.

Above. Window with the simple phrase "they found him in the temple."

Above. Window with an unreadable memoriam, but erected in 1896.

Above. Window depicting St Oswald (left) St Mary (second left) Jesus (centre) St John (second right) and St Kentigern (right)

Above. Window dedicated to the memory of Sarah, wife of John Steele of Ivy Cottage, Burneside, who died in 1880.

Above. Looking down the nave towards the North East end of the church.

Above. Looking towards the chancel, at the South West of the church.
Above. An armorial plaque of the de Burneshead family. This family once owned nearby Burneside Hall (up until the 16th century)

Follow the link for some aerial photos of the church.

No comments: